Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Kolache Test Kitchen

Funny thing came up at work the other day--no one here in California knows what kolaches are! I went on a mission calling all the local bakeries, but apparently none of them know what kolaches are, either. The closest I got was a Swedish baker who told me to describe what I want and he'll make it for me. Close, but certainly not the same!

After realizing how daunting it was going to be to make kolaches two nights in a row (remember, I'd need to do a test batch before I brought any in so I could do a trial run), I decided to try making the dough in a bread machine.

Unfortunately I don't have a bread machine, but my friend was kind enough to lend me hers. And, the first batch was a....SUCCESS!! (kindof)

The sausage kolaches turned out delicious, but the fruit kolaches needed a little more sweetness. I think I'll add more sugar to the recipe next time. I cut the sugar down to begin with to make them a *little* healthier.

Pictures to follow once Abel brings the camera back...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whelp, your comment is close but I'm still having to introduce Kolache's with no test run and a crossiant package, some sausage, and a jar of jalapenos early tomorrow. I hope I can represent without totally ruining them for life...you never forget your first time...tasting kolaches.